Women’s IPL ‘very much on’ - Sourav Ganguly

Image : Collected

|| Desk Report ||
Ending speculation about the parent body not having a plan for Harmanpreet Kaur and her team, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) President Sourav Ganguly said on Sunday the Women’s IPL or the Challenger Series as it is better known is ‘very much on’.
“I can confirm to you that the women’s IPL is very much on and we do have a plan in place for the national team also,” Sourav Ganguly told state-owned news agency ahead of the IPL Governing Council meeting later on Sunday.
The BCCI president, who is awaiting a Supreme Court verdict on the waiver of the cooling off period to continue in the position, did not divulge details of their plan for the women’s cricketers.

But another senior official privy to the development said that Women’s Challenger will be held during the last phase of the IPL, like last year.
“The Women’s Challenger Series is likely to be held on November 1-10 and there could be a camp before that,” the source said.
The BCCI chief also said that the centrally contracted women players will have a camp which has been delayed due to the pandemic.
“We couldn’t have exposed any of our cricketers -- be it male or female to health risk. It would have been dangerous,” Ganguly said.
“The NCA also remained shut because of COVID-19. But we have a plan in place and we will have a camp for women, I can tell you that,” he added.
However, Indian women cricketers including ODI captain Mithali Raj, on Sunday, welcomed the announcement.