promotional_ad

Ex-Indian cricketers slam BCCI ignoring ‘Women’s IPL’

Image : Collected
promotional_ad

|| Desk Report ||


The Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 might be gearing up for its return on September 19 in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) but there still isn’t much clarity on the resumption of Indian women’s cricket.


A Women’s T20 Challenge was also supposed to be a part of the IPL Season 13, with reports suggesting that Jaipur could hold as many as 7 ‘women’s IPL’ matches.


With there being no clarity over the Indian eves’ future, an ex-Indian women’s cricketer has hit out at the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).


The BCCI doesn’t even have a selection panel for women’s cricketers at present after the contract of the previous selectors expired. In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic the Indian women’s team’s tour of England in September was also cancelled despite the fact that the ECB is successfully hosting West Indies in for a men’s Test series at present and are set to host Pakistan too.



scdry_ads

Speaking to The Week, a former Indian women’s team player expressed her disappointment over the BCCI's decision to cancel the England tour, while another lashed out at the board for ignoring women’s cricket.


“It’s sad, women couldn’t go to England, they could have undergone quarantine there, the BCCI can afford it, right?” said a senior former player.


“Like most things in this country, even women’s cricket is just an afterthought for BCCI is what comes out of the whole thing,” said another former player.


When IPL chairman Brijesh Patel was contacted about the “women’s IPL” matches this year, he all but confirmed that those exhibition matches are unlikely to be held this year. Explaining the reason behind the same, Patel told The Week that the delay in ICC's announcement of the postponement of T20 World Cup didn't leave the BCCI with much time to coordinate with other boards and plan women's matches.


“The window for IPL is from September 19 to November 8 in UAE. This is clashing with the women’s ‘BigBash League’ and top players may not be available,” said Patel.



“Had ICC announced the T20 WC postponed earlier we could have spoken with other boards and discussed a window for women’s matches.”


“Unfortunately, women’s cricket may have been set back by a couple of years by this pandemic as some of the momentum that had been built between India’s success in World Cup 2017 and World T20 2020 has been lost,” Mithali had said.


While the resumption of men’s cricket is necessary from the revenue point of view, women’s cricket is expected to take the back seat.


           
 



Trending News

Publisher & Editor Md Kamal Hossen

Cricfrenzy took birth as the new face of cricket media in Bangladesh to connect the masses with the sport they love unconditionally in a new and exciting way.

Email: cricfrenzy@gmail.com
Phone: +880 1305-271894
Address: 2nd Floor , House 18, Road 2, Mohammadia Housing Socity, Mohammadpur , Dhaka
Vacancies
Contact for Advertisement
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policies
© 2024 cricfrenzy.com . All rights reserved
footer ball