|| CF Correspondent ||
Former Australian skipper Steven Smith will not be able to take part in the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) any longer this season as he is set undergo a surgery to fix his elbow injury. With less than three months to serve on his year-long suspension, the news came as a blow for not only Comilla Victorians but also for the Australian side who is now in jeopardised state as far as the batting is concerned.
The Australian, who was the Comilla Victorians captain, flew back home on Sunday night and the franchise were hoping that he would not be needing surgery.
Cricket Australia website said that the surgery to repair a ligament in his right elbow is scheduled to take place on Tuesday, following which he will be in a brace for six weeks which will render him unable to participate in the BPL anymore.
In Smith’s absence, Imrul Kayes led the side on Friday’s five-wicket victory over Rajshahi Kings.
The injury is a major blow to Smith, whose 12-month suspension for his involvement in the Cape Town ball-tampering scandal will end on March 28.
The setback comes with less than six months to go before Australia's World Cup title defence in England, which is immediately followed by an away Ashes series.
The 29-year-old played only two matches for the Comilla Victorians in the BPL, where he scored 16 and 0.
The ban handed down by Cricket Australia in the wake of the Newlands incident precludes Smith and former teammate David Warner from playing international cricket and domestic cricket in Australia.
Both players have instead played in Canada, the Caribbean and Bangladesh in T20 competitions, and on home soil they have played NSW Premier Cricket with success.
While it's uncertain when and where Smith and Warner will return to the national team, limited-overs captain Aaron Finch said last month both players will be warmly welcomed back.