BCB need consciousness

Image : Collected

|| CF Correspondent ||
Bangladesh tour to Sri Lanka has become a hot topic for the last couple of days. It has created a lot of media hype despite the pandemic situation.
But before reaching onto any decision, consciousness is required among the decision-makers as they need to think of the pros and cons of the tour.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic situation cricket along with other sports get suspended earlier this year. However, cricketing fraternities are thinking of resumption of the cricket from the next month despite the risk of the contagion virus while cricket boards are taking measures given by the International Cricket Council [ICC].
However, the tour to Sri Lanka has been into the media for the past couple days and there is lot of speculation and debate on whether it should commence on the due date or it should be pushed back to another time slot.
Bangladesh was scheduled to play three Test matches in Sri Lanka which is also a part of the ICC Test Championship. But earlier due to travel restriction and health concern Bangladesh has postponed their matches against Pakistan, Australia and Ireland.
When making decisions on those bilateral series it was like a straight forward decision for the Bangladesh Cricket Board [BCB] but it seems a matter of concern for them to make a decision on the Sri Lanka tour, though BCB hasn't said officially about going to the tour but the way they are taking time after time it seems that there are quite confused about taking a decision while in the process they are making it look one of the top agenda in their priority list.
What is more surprising is that despite while BCB has to give this much thought about going for the tour where India is not willing to go for their bilateral series in Sri Lanka, though it is not officially announced, considering the fact the coronavirus condition in India and Bangladesh are almost similar as both the country is still facing the pandemic effect by this deadly virus.

Though the report says that Sri Lanka is less affected by the coronavirus in the South-Asian part where they has 1,835 number of confirmed cases along with 11 death and 941 cases of recovery but the last 14 days record from 27 May to 7 June as per the corona tracker the cases are going upward day by day while on the other side the situation in Bangladesh is far worse than them.
Bangladesh till now has 65,769 confirmed cases with 888 death toll and 13,903 recovered and more than that after easing lockdown throughout the country on May 31 amid no signs of abatement in COVID-19 infections.
Sri Lanka has already started their practice from the 1 June. They have made a 13 player team and started practice creating a bio-safety bubble environment.
In the midst players like Mushfiqur Rahim and others asked for permission to go and have practice and have training facilities on the ground, initially BCB refuses to allow players to have practice as the risk is still high but then agreed to their request but that will not be an official practice session at indoor and in BCB academy but with strict protocol following the ICC guidelines but they haven't gave any official date about it.
While on the other side the ICC module says that before a Test match a team of players have to go on a practice session for a minimum of six-eight weeks training period.
But Bangladesh has not started any sort of preparation on practice. If that is the case then players will not be able to practice on their skills and without proper net practice players will hardly play well in any match.
Also, the head coach Russell Domingo, batting coach Neil McKenzie and other coaching staffs are still at their home, overseas. Without them how the team will start their practice properly. They have to report to work before the resumption of the training. But it's still missing the line.
Players haven't got this much off-season ever. With international cricket and domestic cricket players always keep themselves busy and hardly have enough time to relax. But due to the COVID-19 crisis players are in house arrest for more than two months.
In this due time, they are doing their training at home which is not even close to their daily practice session in the ground with the training routine they have. Also players concern about going to Sri Lanka for the tour is also a major issue.
When we are discussing about these issues then the lockdown is also snooping around again entitled with red-zone.
There are some parts of the country will still have to face lockdown. The Bangladesh government said that the country will be divided into three zones- Red, Green and Yellow- to regulate the spread of the coronavirus effectively.
By analyzing the COVID-19 confirmed cases, the zoning system will be made, where the Department of Health has already been asked to submit information regarding this. Mirpur the heart of Bangladesh cricket, where the national stadium is situated is on a high alert of to be in the red zone.
If this becomes the deal then the official practice of the players will see a further push. Because players will not be able to practice while taking the risk and they have to remain put at their home for another period of time.
So the uncertainty still remains. So considering everything, it can be said that the possibility of the tour to commence in July will not be possible rather than it may push back to September. Because if players travel without their proper skill training, proper fitness then the risk of injury and poor performance will be the major issue excluding the other issue such the travel restriction and going into Sri Lanka and staying there while taking on the health measures and playing the matches by undertaking the ICC rules.