Mahedi: I don't think about shattering everything
Comilla Victorians player Mahedi Hasan has been playing first class cricket for two years. He finished last season by becoming the second most run-getter after Anamul Haque Bijoy. With an average of 41, Mahedi has four first-class centuries to his name.
Mahedi won the DPL title with Gazi Group in 2017. In that tournament he had clubbed a list-A ton as well. However, he came into the limelight as a right arm off-spinner. He took a total of 56 wickets in 55 first-class and list-A matches in the domestic circuit.
After his debut in first-class cricket in 2015, Mahedi made his first appearance in list-A cricket in 2016. Playing for Comilla Victorians, he faced the world-class batsmen in last year’s BPL as well. Then the youngster got a call-up in the national training camp or, the preliminary squad before the tri-nation series.
During an interview with Cricfrenzy, the 23-year old discussed his game as well as the future that lies ahead of him.
* You got a breakthrough in the last season. DPL, NCL, BPL - you have performed well everywhere. Got a chance at the national team camp. What is your aim in this season?
- There is no target. Everything is normal. Thinking normally allows me to do well. Having a bigger goal might hamper attention. And the rest is on God Almighty.
* There will be many eyes on you, the selectors will want to see how your performance is going as you got a call-up in the preliminary team. Feeling stressed?
- I do not feel any pressure. I’ll try to be well. We will try to keep everything normal. I’ll try to do better than before. However, I don't think about shattering everything with my performances.
* You played for Gazi Group in the previous season, your team became the champions. You had a century in last season. Last time Nasir and Bijoy were in the side. Now the team looks a little different? What do you feel about the current Gazi Group squad?
- Last year, the team was more balanced. We had cricketers for each position, there was no shortage. But this year, the team can be said to be a little weaker. A few experienced cricketers are there. Between the senior and the junior, the team seems to be fairly balanced albeit not very balanced.
* The team has the confidence to hold the title?
- Yes, the confidence of the team will increase when everyone from the squad will join. There are four national-team cricketers in our team.
* You came into the limelight with your bowling performance in BPL, but you scored more than 500 runs in the NCL last time. Which one do you enjoy more? Bowling or batting?
- Actually, I target what is best for me at a given time. I've been working on my bowling recently. I am not thinking too much about batting. In fact, if you want to do well on both sides, neither is going to be perfect. Working on a specific side is productive.
* What was the experience of practicing with all the stars in the national-team camp?
- The camp experience was very good as it was the first time [for me]. In the camp, one has to do his own work. No one will say what to do.
* What do you think, adding to the camp has improved your game?
- After playing in BPL, the opportunity to join the national team camp boosted my confidence. I had some defects in certain areas. I have covered the most of that in the camp. Following that my courage has increased a lot.
|| CF Correspondent || Chief of BCCI's Committee of Administrators, Vinod Rai, on Friday (February 22), stated that the Indian Cricket Board has not made a decision, one way or theMatch Report Live Score More
||Desk Report|| South Africa bowlers struck back after Sri Lanka’s bowling rampage on the first day of the second Test on Thursday in Port Elizabeth. Kasun Rajitha, Vishwa Fernando claimedMatch Report Live Score More